Thursday, May 19, 2011

The joy of critiquing (or I have a dream)



Lately I've been thinking I might make a better editor than a writer. No, I'm not giving up on writing. I'm just saying that critiquing has showed me how amazing it is to read a new story, make suggestions, try to help someone and make her story wonderful, and then root for that story. It must be an amazing feeling to be an editor. I've always felt that way, even when I was a reporter. And having a critique group has made that feeling rise again.

There's just something so liberating about working on someone else's story. It makes me see things clearer and somehow I feel more freedom than I do with my own story. So I'm coming out there and saying it: I have a dream of being an editor, or an agent. I dream of discovering new voices and working on other people's stories as much as I dream of seeing my own work out there. As one of my critique partners puts it, I guess I'm just a good cheerleader. One with a critical eye and a talent for giving advice (a lot more than for following it).

So there you have it. That's my dream job. Consider it a first step for maybe taking a leap. What about you? What is your dream?

5 comments:

  1. I see the rewards in editing other people's work, but I'd truly rather be writing my own stuff. But we have to help each other; it benefits us both. Being an agent sounds interesting, but it's probably not as glamorous as it seems. But with the way you feel about it, maybe you should give it a try. I'm sure, if you hit the mother lode with a couple of best sellig authors, the job becomes very satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabi - YEAH!!!! You said it! There you go, girl! There is your DREAM!!!! NO, go after it! You would be great at this!!!!!!!!!! Start researching and go for it! I have no doubt in my mind!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have recently begun working with a writing parrtner and I too, love critiquing and editing other's work. Maybe it's just easier to me than writing which takes a lot more creativity and imagination but it's all baout helping someone out, too that makes me feel good. But I think they go hand in hand. Some times it's easier to see the edits and areas for improvements in another's work that you are not so closely tied to, but almost always after critiquing someone else's work, I go back to my own WIP and apply the same suggestions. Don't give up if you still love writing! You can always do both:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same way, or I did in school. I am much better at helping out and adding details, fixing grammar, etc. than I am writing my own things from scratch. I say you go for it. What do you have to lose?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gabriela,

    I've been thinking the same thing lately. I think being an editor would be a really cool job (in fact, I've been considering looking for internships with publishers.) Good luck with this new dream. Let me know how it goes!

    Lorena

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails